Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery
Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery is a complex of lakes and pools all dedicated purely to fly
fishing. The lakes are spring fed and crystal clear water all year, suitable for stalking due to the clarity.
The lake beds are gravel, clay, sand and chalk mix so cover a wide range of insect life and hatches. Mayfly, damsels, buzzers, sedges, etc. from the lake and huge terrestrial hatches from the surrounding land and hedgerows with the hawthorn fly hatch being particularly memorable.
Suiting the traditional fly fisherman as such varied insect life abounds and dry fly was in the catch book for nearly 11 months of last year!
The lakes are stocked weekly with hard fighting fin perfect rainbow and brown trout well into double figures. The setting is in open countryside adjacent to Epping Forest and is a magnet for all wildlife and birds with an abundance of birds of prey.
We are located just over a mile from Epping and very close to the M11 junction 7 and also close to the M25 junction 26.
News and Events
Facilities and Features
- Two Trout Lakes and a pool - a place where brown trout are regularly stocked and caught! All returned as a sport fish
- The Best Water in Essex - more like a chalk stream than a lake
- Year round fishing
- Free Parking
- Open all year round - the fishing is great all months of the year!
- Suitable for all levels of angler
- Fly casting lessons and tuition can be arranged
- BBQ for customer use